Our Infertility Adoption Story- There's No Such Thing As An Unwanted Child or Pregnancy

Monday, July 25, 2011

So The Wait Begins...

Alrighty...if we're friends on FB chances are you already know some of this but this is a more detailed account of yesterday's events. << That is your fair warning :)
So remember my last blog where I said I didn't feel like I was ovulating and all that?  Well I still don't feel like I am going to/did ovulate.  I do however feel like my insides are swollen up to about 10 times their normal size.  I was/am SUPER uncomfortable.  Sitting, standing, going from a sitting to standing position, bending over, standing straight...it's all uncomfortable.  To get a feel for how it feels you could take a couple of softballs, put them in your pants pocket and try to do the previously mentioned movements...yeah that's what it feels like.  Anyhow, I'm hoping that the feeling that everything is swollen is a good sign that things are doing what they're supposed to do.

 So we got up Sunday morning, I showered and made sure to shave my legs before our "romantic" rendezvous ;)  We went to the GYFT Clinic in Tacoma for the sperm wash.  After verifying Cliff's ID and us forking out $162 (actually she charged us $762 the first time "Oops, I've never done THAT before"...riiiiiight) Cliff did what he needed to do and we were left with instructions to come back at 11:30 to pick up the little guys. We went to breakfast at Shari's Restaurant and tried to kill some time.  Of course, we had to crack jokes about the forms that he'd had to complete.  We got back to the GYFT Clinic a little early and had to wait.  I was pretty nervous because the one thing that hadn't yet been checked this time around was the sperm count.  Last time was 10 years ago and Cliff's had some major illnesses since then.  We finally got the little guys back and the numbers were great (sigh of relief).  The lab tech handed me the tube and told me to put it between my breasts inside my bra to keep them body temperature.  In my mind I was driving like Ace Ventura "GOT A PACKAGE PEOPLE!!!!" but I'm sure I was driving very responsibly ;)  We went to Group Health and paged Dr Su to meet us.  He called me back from Group Health!  He was already there waiting for us. The procedure this time was MUCH more uncomfortable than the first two had been.  EVERYTHING he did hurt more. It didn't take very long at all for the procedure to be finished.  Dr Su instructed me to wait 30 minutes then I could leave.  As he and the nurse exited, she says "Good luck!  I've never been in the room when someone else was conceiving.  That was a first for me"  I had to laugh because all I could think was "Yeah, me too!"  Cliff was our timekeeper and had me lay there for 31 minutes because he thought we needed "an extra minute for good measure". So I laid there for 31 minutes, tweeting, facebooking, texting etc and Cliff played Solitaire and gave me the countdown. RO-MAN-TIC!
We came home after our 31 minutes and I really did absolutely nothing for the rest of the day.  Laid down on the bed for a bit, then sat in the recliner, then slept in the recliner...good times.
I did some relaxation breathing and some visualization, couldn't hurt right?  "See the egg...see the sperm swimming to the egg..." It was hard not to sing "just keep swimming...just keep swimming (a la Dori in Finding Nemo)" and visualizing the opening credits from "Look Who's Talking".
Really you HAVE to have a sense of humor when doing something like this other wise you'd cry.  This is NOT what I had planned for my life but this is the path we're on right now. So now we wait.  I had an acupuncture appointment with Dr Woon today, another is scheduled for Friday.  I have another HCG injection on Friday so I'm not sure how soon I'll be able to know if I'm pregnant (unless I start a period).  The HCG stays in your system for about 2 weeks so a urine test will show positive regardless.

So there you have it...a lot of rambling and probably A LOT more info than you wanted but whatever...you didn't have to read it all ;)
 My back is killing me, my "tummy" hurts and I now have to worry about the "Don't take this if you're pregnant" warnings because ya never know!  Small complaints but that's all I got right now.  Can't complain about much else.  We've been blessed to have friends and family that were willing to set alarms, receive text messages and such to remember to pray for us during the procedure.  It's nice to know our child already has people praying for him/her before even being conceived!  Please continue praying for us.  We'll need it regardless of what the next couple of weeks holds in store for us!

1 comment:

  1. Good thing your were able to "hold" the package. We'd be in trouble if I was chaged with that task. :) Thanks for the update!